Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thank you.



There were certain books that I had when I was a child that were just so precious to me, for their stories and their sweetness. This one, I have finally managed to find on ebay after a long time of searching. When I was about five I used to borrow it all the time from the town library, intrigued by its smallness and by the fact that the main characters were an ant and a bee. It inspired many of the comics I made as a child and still inspires me now. My favourite page was the last one, shown above, as it amazed me that the author had known just what I was thinking when I worried about the skate going over the bump!
I was also very inspired by book I had that was one of those record, read along books.... It was called The little house, I think and was one of the first things that made me think about houses and cities and other inanimate objects having spirits of their own, another theme that comes up often in my art and writing today. These things and many, many others from childhood have had such a deep influence on me and my work that I often wish I could find the people who wrote them and just say a heartfelt "thankyou."

No comments: